This blog is my portfolio of artwork, a journal about my process of making art...and the things that I have no words for...

*Copyright notice* All photos, writing, and artwork are mine (
© Laura J. Wellner), unless otherwise noted, please be a peach, if you'd like to use my work for a project or you just love it and must have it, message me and we'll work out the details...it's simple...JUST ASK, please.



Saturday, December 06, 2008

November Twilight


November Twilight is a mixed media mess...but I love it better now than I did the day before I finished it...it was one of those drawings that wasn't working, until I got to the "oh fuck it" point and threw everything and the kitchen sink at it...

It started with a black acrylic background with heavily textured brushstrokes, then I began scribbling and scrubbing the surface with Derwent Soft Drawing Pencils, their muted earthy tones were the perfect colors that I wanted, after awhile I got into trouble as the color wasn't laying down so well...then after a week of glaring at it for being so disappointing, I got out the big guns, the mop brush, and watercolors, then I opened my jars of acrylic washes and splashed...for most of the creation of the piece, the two circles had been at the top, when I flipped it "upside-down" I liked it better...although it wasn't what I was going for to begin with...it turned into something I wasn't expecting...sometimes, part of the struggle is the fun part...

No comments: