This blog is my portfolio of artwork, a journal about my process of making art...and the things that I have no words for...

*Copyright notice* All photos, writing, and artwork are mine (
© Laura J. Wellner), unless otherwise noted, please be a peach, if you'd like to use my work for a project or you just love it and must have it, message me and we'll work out the details...it's simple...JUST ASK, please.



Saturday, February 28, 2009

I love black and white

I love making pencil drawings...here's three little'uns and two bigger'uns...


Stained Glass, 2005, Ebony pencil, approx. 3 x 2


Early Spring Moonlight, 2008, 9 B woodless pencil with white colored pencil, approx. 3 x 3


Nocturnal, July, 2008, 9B woodless pencil, 2H pencil, 4 x 4



Serpentine, 2008, graphite dust, 9B woodless pencil, with 4H pencil, 14 x 11




Smoke, February, 2009, graphite dust, 9B woodless pencil, with HB, 2H and 4H pencil, 14 x 11


I very often return to black and white pencil drawings to work out my vision...keeping it simple without the complication of color, working on marks, shapes, textures...

They're as simple as far as just using pencil, but they're mighty complex...some a little busier than others...

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I wouldn't have thought that black and white could have such depth ... tho I remember a photographer friend of mine who only worked in b&w because of the depth of lighting ...

I think I could stare at your black and whites and daydream in colour!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Hi Laura, I'm glad to have found you! Your drawings and your mixed media have a wonderful sense of mystery about them...
It truly comes across that you love what you do...
and you are a writer.. It is a passion of my husbands too although he is filling his extra moments with painting now...

Interesting to learn that you live on a windswept hill too.. sometimes I feel we are going to be blown off ours...

I really like your menagerie too!!