This blog is my portfolio of artwork, a journal about my process of making art...and the things that I have no words for...

*Copyright notice* All photos, writing, and artwork are mine (
© Laura J. Wellner), unless otherwise noted, please be a peach, if you'd like to use my work for a project or you just love it and must have it, message me and we'll work out the details...it's simple...JUST ASK, please.



Sunday, September 27, 2009

It's a keeper...

Elemental Autumn, Twilight, 9/27/2009, acrylic monotype on sumi paper mounted on canvas. I finally resolved the left side to my satisfaction, it kept changing, and I would like it for a little while, and then...I wanted to do better.

Bones of the Earth, White Stone, 9/26/2009, acrylic monotype on sumi paper mounted on Stonehenge paper, 8 x 8 inches.

This little one...purely accidental. It started out much brighter, and then I messed it up, and then I tried to fix it...made it worse, and then I just went into "oh, f' it" mode and did this and that just to see what I can do while waiting for paint to dry on the others I've been working on...and so...when this stony surface happened with lots of the under coats showing through and the paper texture doing its thing in spite of the layers of washes I had a "that's it!" moment...

My vacation is over...

8 comments:

Mary S. Hunt said...

isn't it a wonderful moment to see what becomes of chaos...this is the kind of effect i like to see
it has a etheral quality..myterious
which i think is what you were after?
great piece!

Caterina Giglio said...

great pieces both of them a sense of richness of texture as well as mystery..
whenever I go into "oh what the f " mode, I know its gonna turn out good!

Kelly M. said...

sometimes it's going beyond that point of no return, the damn and blast part that brings its own reward -- well, sometimes; not always! what a great way to end vacation -- :)

The Artist Within Us said...

Art is is process for which there is no road map. It must be explored and find its own way. When one lets go, another part of the artist takes over and we are exposed to the unknown within ourself.

I really like the triptych and for the single piece I feel the image does it do no justice.

Thank you for sharing
Egmont

Tonya Vollertsen said...

Very lovely and mysterious images. I am enjoying the progression and thought process as well. Are you printing back into your image or hand working over the original?
I've not done much in the way of printing but am looking forward to a Ron Pokrasso workshop in March that I have signed up for. Chine Colle' process.
Cheers, Tonya

Unknown said...

The finished triptych is a beautiful piece....interesting to see your process from one post to another. The "keeper" is so much richer in tone & clarified in its textures.
Yeah....the second one is what I'm after! Subtle and at the same time perfectly inevitable. The hard part is always getting out of the way!
I really appreciated your recent thoughtful comment on my blog.It gave me lots of food for thought. My art and my personal life have never come together much. My husband has yet to "see" my art, it is as if it is invisible to him & yet he would thrilled if I sold everything....then it would be valuable! Oh well; the blog helps and the network of daily artistic inspiration. Thanks for listening.

Seth said...

These are both such wonderful pieces. Such depth and texture! They must be even better in person.

Sharmon Davidson said...

I love this piece! It evokes a sense mystery, and indescribable emotion. What type of ink do you use for your monotypes?