This blog is my portfolio of artwork, a journal about my process of making art...and the things that I have no words for...

*Copyright notice* All photos, writing, and artwork are mine (
© Laura J. Wellner), unless otherwise noted, please be a peach, if you'd like to use my work for a project or you just love it and must have it, message me and we'll work out the details...it's simple...JUST ASK, please.



Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A new drawing...

I started a new drawing on Sunday night...it's been a long time since I made a pencil drawing...I settled in on the couch to watch the Ken Burn's National Parks on PBS and taped out the edges of some smooth finish Bristol paper (9 x 12) and started to make random marks...and then let my pencils go with the flow...
This is a close up of Sunday night's corner...

And this is what I did during last night's episode...one problem with photographing graphite drawings, they shimmer...There is no top or bottom, right or left to this yet...it resolves itself as I move along...

These drawings are very soothing to me, some are successful, some are rambling nonsense with no focal point to anchor the viewers eye...people tell me they get lost in them...I say they give me joy...I can't wait until I get back to this one tonight! When the show ended last night, I wanted to keep going, but I had to stop, I was so tired last night, my Fibromyalgia was really giving me grief all day yesterday...these drawings are my therapy...

Here's some of my most favorite drawings...

A Little Bit Softer Now...2005

Show and Tell, 2005...This little drawing was stolen from the bin at the gallery where my drawings were on display...I'm pissed at the thief...tho' I keep being told I should feel "honored" that someone liked it so much they felt compelled to walk off with it.

Joy, 2006

For Cello, 2007



Spring Nights, 2007


May, 2008

They're all small ones...8 x 10 or less...pencil drawing is my first love...I'll always go back to it to regroup, think about what to do next, or just to play...or go with the flow...

10 comments:

Momo Luna S!gnals said...

Great drawings, each of them, i love it..........

Kelly M. said...

As I scroll down the page I am reminded of Gustav Klimt's sketches when preparing for his full-scale works - a sort of anthropomorphic feeling, very fluid . . . makes me want to pick up a pencil and jump in!

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Great beginnings on these new drawings...you can easily tell drawing is a strong place for you.

Poetic Artist said...

I do love these drawings..At times like this when I see pencil drawings that are so wonderful. No color is necessary. Wonderful.

layers said...

I love graphite on paper-- its sensual to me--tactile, I like rubbing with my fingers and really getting close to the drawings-- yours are great.

Unknown said...

Enjoyed seeing each drawing....lots of vitality & energy in each one, but collectively they present a wave-like organic flow. Wonderful!

Caterina Giglio said...

these drawings are just fabulous, so free and lovely!

ArtPropelled said...

There is so much life in your Sunday night's drawing....quite amazing.

merci33 said...

I love seeing this series and enjoy the recent ones particularly as you mention them being created during the lovely and lush images of the National Park series...the monotype is evocative and the layers are sumptuous...all in all...
you've inspired me to take along graphite sticks for tomorrow's studio time. Thanks!

Sharmon Davidson said...

these are amazing!