This blog is my portfolio of artwork, a journal about my process of making art...and the things that I have no words for...

*Copyright notice* All photos, writing, and artwork are mine (
© Laura J. Wellner), unless otherwise noted, please be a peach, if you'd like to use my work for a project or you just love it and must have it, message me and we'll work out the details...it's simple...JUST ASK, please.



Monday, January 18, 2010

Walkin' after midnight...what do I see...

Midnight Indigo, Elemental Winter (January Nocturne), 1/17/2010
acrylic wash, monotype, and Hosho paper on canvas
24 x 8 inches

I love the simplicity of the dark circle at the top and the complex layers in the rectangle are just juicy...the Payne's Gray wash was so exquisite I hesitated to make a mark on it! I wish I had taken a photo of it, I thought I had, but apparently I didn't (drat).

I really love the late night walk with Max...even if I'm tired and cold on a winter's night there's still things to see and think about...there's magic in the air when there's fresh snow down, stars in the sky, and the air so crisp and frosty that it hurts to breathe deep...makes poor Max lift his paws while he's sniffing for bunnies in the snow... well, we're warmer now, it's thawing, and we're socked in with fog on the hilltop today, it's a good day to stay inside and paint...or go outside and take pictures...

I might have a few more things left to do with this one...so it's a work in progress...

Work in progress, Night and Day, Winter Elemental, 1/17/2010


Bones of the Earth, Bronzed, 2009-2010
acrylic wash, monotype, and Hosho paper on canvas
16 x 8

I reworked this one a few nights ago...as much as I liked it before, it was bugging me, I kept staring at it one night (instead of reading the proof of my next novel) and took it down off the wall and fooled about with it really late at night, and then delivered it to the Delavan Art Gallery on Thursday afternoon...I was surprised that it was picked from the bunch I brought in...but yet, not. Four other paintings that have been posted here previously were selected as well...there's a group exhibition opening this Thursday night (1/21), I don't know which piece (or pieces) will be included so it will be a bit of a surprise when I get there for the opening...I'll take pictures!

My new scanner/printer is up and running...photo paper is on order...I'm working on an Esty shop for selling original artwork, photographs and signed copies of books from Field Stone Press so...there's much in the works, I'll keep you posted when that happens...a few things have to fall into place first, I don't multi-task as well as I used to...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love what you did with this theme. Wish I had thought of something like this for my upcoming "black and white plus red" juried entries. You know how to think outside the box.
Jean

M said...

Laura,
I love all these pieces. I'm a sucker for a strong vertical orientation. I particularly like the first one. The paynes gray really works.

Kelly M. said...

love these "totems" that you're creating! Walk at Midnight reminds me a bit of your earlier photos of the ice patterns. Your muted palette is another strength -- makes one look closer, slows one down to contemplate what is before the viewer. Congrats on the exhibit, too!