This blog is my portfolio of artwork, a journal about my process of making art...and the things that I have no words for...

*Copyright notice* All photos, writing, and artwork are mine (
© Laura J. Wellner), unless otherwise noted, please be a peach, if you'd like to use my work for a project or you just love it and must have it, message me and we'll work out the details...it's simple...JUST ASK, please.



Saturday, June 19, 2010

Lazy vacation days...


But I've been busy... this is a work in progress...or is it done? Dunno...I can't make up my mind, I made this awesome gray with Payne's Gray and Burnt Umber, slathered it on as a wash and it made this wonderful texture that is so lovely I'd hate to do anything to cover it up... I might add some more shapes or lines, but I'm willing to let it go after that...

The next three I did all together last weekend, laid them out, and worked them in an assembly line... I like doing that now and then when I have small things going on... they're all 8 x 8 inches, acrylic, wash, monotype, and sumi-paper on Stonehenge paper.




My Fred and I and our friends Ken and Suzanne are preparing for our exhibition at The Gallery at Healing Art Passages...we're hoping for a good turnout...

An ongoing project in association with The Gallery, our friend Ken Nichols has been doing a shared painting project with various artist friends, and this week was my turn to take a canvas he started and make my additions... this can be hard especially when styles, paint use and color choices are vastly different...so the first photo is what Ken gave to me to start with on Thursday night while we were gallery sitting... he starts with a flat black canvas, and uses very bright, colors...looking at it I saw flowers and a rooster/hummingbird combination like they got stuck to one another...or something...I puzzled over it all evening while the three of us chatted and painted in the gallery (we sit and make art during operation hours, makes it interesting for visitors to see the artists at work)...


I really didn't know how I was going to do it and make it work with my style and keep his base visible...well, let's say, I wasn't shy once I got started...


I had soooo much fun! I learned a lot about my art making during this exercise...the painting goes back to Ken on Sunday so he can make additions... so when I see it again, it'll be different.

2 comments:

Kelly M. said...

Laura -- love that first painting -- reminds me of solstice night, stars, comets, constellations -- which lead to your other smaller works, like mariner's compasses, celestial navigations? Good luck with your new exhibit!

Curio said...

I love the way you took a painting that was really not your style and completely transformed it...your end result seems to be truly you infused with colour...Beautiful!