This blog is my portfolio of artwork, a journal about my process of making art...and the things that I have no words for...

*Copyright notice* All photos, writing, and artwork are mine (
© Laura J. Wellner), unless otherwise noted, please be a peach, if you'd like to use my work for a project or you just love it and must have it, message me and we'll work out the details...it's simple...JUST ASK, please.



Sunday, February 03, 2008

Winter Nocturne, the moon is riding low on the horizon

I just scanned this one yesterday...more to come another day.

The blackest blacks and various shades of gray...so many subtle things happening in there, I can sit and let my eyes roam and get lost in the nooks and crannies...I know it probably doesn't make much sense to most people as the visual journey I present to them appears complicated...it's is hard to explain what it is that I see while I'm working on them...it isn't so much what I see, it's what I do with what I see after I make a mark, and where it goes from there depends on what the next mark does, if the pencil is sharp or dull, sometimes if the tip is broken I'll work the ragged end to do something else, and grind the dust and chunks into the paper surface with the butt end of the pencil or smear them with my finger tip...what ever works, right?

Indeed, I have fun...it is my joy, my fantastic voyage, layers from white to black, sometimes they appear carved rather than drawn...I keep thinking about how I would translate these into 3-D, oh my goodness, wouldn't that be fun? Ceramic, wood, metal...spheres, curves, coils, curly-cues, holes, structures...maybe some day I will play that way...

No comments: