This blog is my portfolio of artwork, a journal about my process of making art...and the things that I have no words for...

*Copyright notice* All photos, writing, and artwork are mine (
© Laura J. Wellner), unless otherwise noted, please be a peach, if you'd like to use my work for a project or you just love it and must have it, message me and we'll work out the details...it's simple...JUST ASK, please.



Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Prototypes...


I am always partial to the pieces that "started it all", the first of the latest thing that I'm doing...or whatever...the "prototypes", I always look to them to see where I should go next, or where to improve...sometimes they're not that great (another reason to keep them to myself), but sometimes that doesn't matter and I hang on to them...well, you know, just because...





This little skinny drawing, pencil and colored pencil entitled Sense came from a productive period of time last spring...the drawing itself was going nowhere as a black and white piece, so I said: "What have I got to lose?" and dove in with colored pencil to tint it...there's parts of it that I love to pieces, and parts of it that are still not so special...but it put me in a better frame of mind creatively to go on with the pallet and play around with adding color...




The next one that came along is better, I see them as "sisters" or "stable mates", their colors are the same, their shape and size are the same, they came out of the same pad of paper...and the spirit of creativity that made the first, urged the creation of the second...





May Night
, which is currently residing at the Delavan Gallery is a far more interesting drawing using the same pallet of colors and scratching the paper surface with a hard #6H pencil...I know I've posted this image last year, but I adore this piece, she's so lovely, there's nifty layers and textures happening...there's a little Art Nouveau look to it that I like a lot. I really loved the act of making it at the time, so whenever I see it I remember the day it was made and how content I felt...I fear there's no way that anyone can see that when they look at her, but...I always hope when someone sees my work that they can rest their eyes where they please and come away with something special...

This is one of the few that I've considered translating into larger scale as a painting on canvas...summer projects to come I believe, the outdoor studio at the picnic table will be busy this year...but what I always fear the most about this step, is losing the spontaneity of the drawing by "copying" something already done...you know what I mean? I can almost see it...but right now, the picnic table is covered in three inches of heavy snow...there's a lot of April Showers ahead...

No comments: