This blog is my portfolio of artwork, a journal about my process of making art...and the things that I have no words for...

*Copyright notice* All photos, writing, and artwork are mine (
© Laura J. Wellner), unless otherwise noted, please be a peach, if you'd like to use my work for a project or you just love it and must have it, message me and we'll work out the details...it's simple...JUST ASK, please.



Sunday, April 06, 2008

Colored Pencil


Blue Bliss with a little bit of red...


I really love working in colored pencils, I used them when I was a kid, and when I "grew up" and went to college, I really learned how to use them in commercial illustration classes...they're another dry medium that I enjoy, and the ones that can get wet just add more toys in the toy box for me to play with...


these little bits are a result of my love affair with the color blue...I believe the blue pencil is a Prismacolor, ultramarine blue, the red...I think that came out of a box of Crayola pencils...










I went for a pale blue in this one, but after setting aside for some time, I decided that it needed green...

Winter Current























On a hot summer night...

I like working in monochromatic, but as much as I like this piece as it is (love the color)...I wish that I had gone into it with graphite to punch it up in places...there's no one telling me that I can't...maybe I will...maybe I won't...

















The first three are finished and "tamed" this is a sample of a work in progress that I have in my sketchbook. I created a surface in this new piece, (it's not done yet, but I will add it in when it is...stay tuned...). Just so you know, the tape was used in a previous drawing, I wanted to "smudge" in the graphite as part of the piece...I'm so glad I photographed this, I fell in love with this surface treatment (too bad I drew over it, but it's becoming its own thing now)...



The colored pencils that I used here are made by Derwent (I really love this company's products) the pencils are soft and blend beautifully...they make making art fun!

No comments: