This blog is my portfolio of artwork, a journal about my process of making art...and the things that I have no words for...

*Copyright notice* All photos, writing, and artwork are mine (
© Laura J. Wellner), unless otherwise noted, please be a peach, if you'd like to use my work for a project or you just love it and must have it, message me and we'll work out the details...it's simple...JUST ASK, please.



Sunday, April 13, 2008

Natural Flow



The most common question I get is: "How do you do that?"

What's so simple to me seems unfathomable to the viewers.











I mostly follow my pencil when I'm drawing. This little untitled drawing from December 2004 is one of those that emerged from doodles, letting how my pencil reacts to the paper texture dictate what comes next, and follow the flow...





Natural Flow, 2005

The only thing I consciously set in place was when I made the circle in the upper left corner by using the hole in the plastic spool that my tape was on...the rest I let the pencil skip about, making ripples...memories of water...I think about the times I spent sitting on a rock at the lake or in the middle of a river, watching the water flow and shimmer...it's such a peaceful place to be...







Twister
, 2007

It's a storm of graphite lines and tints, an emotional maelstrom...I must admit that my emotional state will put its two cents into the flow of my work, this does look quite stressed out with brief passages of gray peace. I recall not liking this drawing very much after I finished it, even while working on it...but now, looking at it, I like it more, probably because there's distance from that moment of time that has taken the edge off...











August Improvisation
, 2007

I took yet another device to create a circle for a starting point, and a straight edge to create sharp lines that are in some cases like spears, or as in others shafts of light...
I love drawing and painting while listening to music...I don't do it enough...

No comments: