This blog is my portfolio of artwork, a journal about my process of making art...and the things that I have no words for...

*Copyright notice* All photos, writing, and artwork are mine (
© Laura J. Wellner), unless otherwise noted, please be a peach, if you'd like to use my work for a project or you just love it and must have it, message me and we'll work out the details...it's simple...JUST ASK, please.



Sunday, December 21, 2008

Inspiration and the things that I have no words for


I said to myself, I have things in my head that are not like what anyone has taught me -- shapes and ideas so near to me -- so natural to my way of being and thinking that it hasn't occurred to me to put them down. I decided to start anew, to strip away what I had been taught...I found I could say things with colors that I couldn't say in any other way -- things that I had no words for.

Georgia O'Keeffe

I have to attribute what I've done these past few years to these words of Georgia O'Keeffe...some time ago...oh, I think around 1990, I went back to making art after not making art for a bit of time...I never really stopped, but I wasn't getting anywhere seriously with it. I wasn't really looking and seeing anything that I wanted to see...I spent a lot of time copying pictures from photos that I took or copying something someone else wanted me to do (I did several portraits of pets, mostly cats). I bought the book Georgia O'Keeffe: Art and Letters at a bookshop during a Sunday afternoon prowl with my Fred and proceeded to read it cover to cover and felt that special "tug" toward inspiration...well, that was around 1992 or so...it has been a lot of years of sloping various paint forms, making piles of pastel dust, and several volumes of sketchbooks full of inspiration before I came to these two little drawings using colors and textures, shapes and lines that I never knew how to translate from my mind to paper...until now. (I also took a couple of years off from making pictures to write my first three novels.) These things take time and patience...I've studied both...and I'm still learning what to do with what I have...


Georgia O'Keeffe: Art and Letters Georgia O'Keeffe: Art and Letters by Georgia O'Keeffe


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
I found this book during a Sunday afternoon bookstore prowl in the early 1990's, probably around 1992 or so...I read it cover to cover and found my way back to making art the way I wanted to make art, but I had to go through a lot of paper and canvas, paint and pencils before I really got to the core of what I wanted to make...it's a fascinating read and powerful, especially for the artist...


View all my reviews.

No comments: