This blog is my portfolio of artwork, a journal about my process of making art...and the things that I have no words for...

*Copyright notice* All photos, writing, and artwork are mine (
© Laura J. Wellner), unless otherwise noted, please be a peach, if you'd like to use my work for a project or you just love it and must have it, message me and we'll work out the details...it's simple...JUST ASK, please.



Saturday, December 13, 2008

Small drawings

This little winter watercolor that I made in 1999 fits well with the type of day we're having...it's a pretty one...winter...as much as I complain about the being cold and gray part, there's a special quality that I would miss if I didn't have it in my life...



Winter mornings especially...






and nights...









watercolors done on scraps...
I love making small drawings and paintings, I keep a small sketchbook with me all the time, it's no bigger than 4 x 4 and its been filled with small pictures that I diddle about with while waiting for a ride or waiting in a doctor's office waiting room...it's the waiting book...I've had a few such books over the years...I have an archival Solander box full of sketchbooks that I've carried since the early 90's when I finally got back into drawing religiously...especially after 1995 when I moved out to the country and could see the sky again...



This little drawing Something I Saw is about 2 x 2 in size, just a wee bit of a thing...I love it.















And this little drawing Season's Change is about the transition month of November...it's a bit of a beast...I tend to have dragons in my drawings...and the last storm that blew through certainly had the look of a dragon...

Although the large drawings give me room to sprawl and make a mess...but it's these little ones that make me happiest...they're more concise...yes, I like the character of the little ones...they seem more special, more immediate...

Can you imagine an entire exhibition of tiny drawings and paintings?

No comments: