This blog is my portfolio of artwork, a journal about my process of making art...and the things that I have no words for...

*Copyright notice* All photos, writing, and artwork are mine (
© Laura J. Wellner), unless otherwise noted, please be a peach, if you'd like to use my work for a project or you just love it and must have it, message me and we'll work out the details...it's simple...JUST ASK, please.



Sunday, February 17, 2013

Winter Blue, Moonlight

Winter Blue, Moonlight, 2/10/2013, acrylic wash and rice paper on canvas, 24 x 24 inches


Another fantastical night sky...the bigger one that was inspired by the earlier small sketch...

The deep shadows on the snow inspired much of this...there's a purple wash underneath all that ultramarine blue...it's nearly impossible to get a photo of the true color, this is as close as I can get without the pale marks looking pink. It absolutely glows on a white wall - and changes with the light of the day and the room - at night it is near black - quite an elemental beauty. I've dropped it off with Caroline at the Szozda Gallery, it's going to look so dang pretty in her gallery.

It's a blustery and bitter cold winter day on the hilltop - snow devils and sunshine at the same time a true lake effect storm up here. I hear the East Coast (especially Maine) is getting another Nor'Easter. I'm looking forward to spring... 




No comments: