This blog is my portfolio of artwork, a journal about my process of making art...and the things that I have no words for...

*Copyright notice* All photos, writing, and artwork are mine (
© Laura J. Wellner), unless otherwise noted, please be a peach, if you'd like to use my work for a project or you just love it and must have it, message me and we'll work out the details...it's simple...JUST ASK, please.



Sunday, October 05, 2008

Drawing from Nature


The drawing is "I Want More Out of Life", September 26, 2008, pencil...lots of heavy 9B black, smudges (accidental and on purpose), a smattering of hard leads carved in to model the blacks...the push and pull of layers, opposing forces, order and chaos...

The two photos are studies that I've made from the things I found around the yard, the dried grass coiled and laid on the weathered wood of the porch floor, the evening light raking across it, the strong verticals of the wood grain, and then the classic beauty of a snail shell...shapes and lines that catch my eye and wind up repeated in my drawings and paintings...

Inspiration all around!




No comments: